What are Learning Partners and what are the Objectives?
Learning Partners will be students from years 9, 10 and 12 in the first instance who will work with a department for a period of time. It is an opportunity to have an input in to the quality and content of the L&T being offered to students across the college.
- You will be selected and led by Mrs Fairhurst, Leading Practitioners and Mrs Merritt
- You will help to further develop Learning & Teaching across the college by becoming more aware of what good learning looks like, how different students learn and what you should expect in a quality (outstanding) lesson
- This will give you a greater voice at Minsthorpe
- It will give you a greater understanding of the role of your teachers and of how students can get the best from a lesson
Why are we doing it?
- It is a tremendous opportunity
- It will offer your teachers more ideas as to what inspires young people to learn
- It will offer students more ideas and strategies about to how to learn as effectively as possible
- It will develop maturity and responsibility in students
- It will help the college evaluate the quality of L&T at ‘ground level’
How will Learning Partners be selected?
- You will be chosen because we think you will make a success of this role
- Talk with CCTL and your P&A mentors
- Application Form – does it reflect your enthusiasm – (you have to want to do it)
- You are right for the job!
The role of the Learning Partner
- Work closely with a department in college
- Visit lessons within that department
- Work with our Leading Practitioners (Mrs Gibson, Mrs Capstick and Mr Salim), Mrs Fairhurst & Mrs Merritt
- Support departmental events
- Feedback confidentially on what you see in lessons
- Work on planning alongside the teachers in the department – see how they work!
- Work with students
- Attend any relevant training
- Meet Governors
How to become a Learning Partner
- More details in P&A time
- You must ‘apply’ to Mrs Fairhurst by Friday 14th February 2014
- Selection process – you will find out by week beginning 10th March
- Training day on Wednesday 9th July
What will the Learning Partners do once chosen?
- You will be paired up with a department (introductions)
- Visit lessons in that department
- Go to some of their meetings/events
- Work with individual teachers as and when they wish
- Share inspirational ideas about the use of our new Learning & Teaching Blog
- Feedback to the Student Council as and when appropriate
- Meet with our Governors