Minsthorpe has been recognised for its outstanding careers programme this week. The college has been awarded the prestigious National Careers Quality Standard.
The Quality in Careers Standard is awarded to schools who can demonstrate the importance that they place on their Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance programme.
The college went through an examination of extensive evidence that was provided by the Careers Leader and other key staff, an assessment visit was also undertaken where Mrs Ellis (C & K Careers) interviewed some of the schools staff, students and a parent.
The National Careers strategy strongly recommends schools work towards the Quality in Careers Standard and Minsthorpe have done this whilst working towards the 8 Gatsby benchmarks, from our assessment we showed that we currently fully meet 6 of the Benchmarks and are well on our way to achieve all 8.
Mrs Ellis commented in her conclusion: "Minsthorpe Community College has a strategic approach to CEIAG and it is very evident that it is embedded throughout college, it is prioritised and a whole college approach is fostered."
The assessment process highlighted these particular strengths of the school’s CEIAG provision:
- Leadership and management are strong with excellent support and strategic overview. The Career Leader is to be commended on his strategies particularly to pull together tracking of CEIAG interventions and NEET.
- The Careers Strategic Plan provides a very clear overview and is effectively used to review and evaluate provision.
- The involvement of the link CEIAG Governor is excellent.
- The website is very comprehensive and includes detailed evaluation and feedback analysis which includes NEET figures and destinations data, student feedback on options, mock interviews and post 16 student feedback.
- The relationship with the external Careers Adviser is good and the CEIAG delivered throughout college is impartial.
- Employer engagement is strong with a wide range of opportunities for pupils to have meaningful encounters with employers.
- STEM activity is very good with a range of activities to raise aspirations and awareness.
- The college is very good at meeting the needs of all students through the taught programme and well-timed quality interventions with pupils. Excellent tracking enables gaps to be identified and acted on.
- The college fully meets 6 of the 8 benchmarks and is well on the way to meeting the remaining 2 benchmarks.
"I am delighted that Minsthorpe has received this award" said the proud Principal, Ray Henshaw. "We are among the first schools in the country to be granted the new Standard and it reflects how important we believe careers education to be at the College. CEIAG is placed at the heart of all we do because our mission is to give high quality advice to our young people so that they can make informed choices that will enable them to progress and make a success of their lives."