Post 16 Bursary

The Bursary provides financial support to help students overcome specific barriers to participation so they can remain in education. The college policy and approach outlined below is based on the guidance provided by the government.

Who can get it?

Providing financial support with the cost of books and equipment/materials related to your course, transport, lunch on the days you study, support with the cost of educational trips and train/bus fares or other transport costs such as University Open day visits.

The two categories of Bursary?

Vulnerable Bursary – Students who are in one or more of these defined groups; in care; care leavers; receiving Income Support, or Universal Credit because they are financially supporting themselves or financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner or receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right.

Discretionary Bursary – Guidance says it is for institutions to decide which students receive a discretionary bursary, depending on each student’s circumstances:

"Institutions must ensure that their bursary policy is designed to ensure funding reaches those students who are most in need of financial support. Institutions should use household income in some way to help establish the amount of support they award to a student."
Guidance 16 to 19 Bursary Fund Guide: 2018 to 2019 academic year

Note-receiving bursary payments does NOT affect any other means-tested benefits the family household are in receipt of.

How do I apply for support?

  1. Contact Mr Lloyd tel: 01977 657600 Email:
  2. Provide one piece of ORIGINAL evidence (suggestions shown below)
  3. Send all documentation into college for the attention of Mr Lloyd

What evidence do I need to provide with the application? (Only one piece needed)

  • Three of the most recent monthly award statements for Universal Credit
  • Income Support JBSAIB or Employment Support Allowance (recent benefits letter from DWP or Job Centre Plus)
  • Child Tax Credit you must provide your most recent Tax Credit Award Notice and documentary evidence of your income
  • ‘Guaranteed’ element of Pension Credit you must provide your Pension Credit M1000 Award Notice
  • Support under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, please ask the Equity and Diversity Service to provide evidence (01924 304388)
  • P60 of parent/s

What are the different bands?

Band 1 = Any student with a household income of £16,190 or below (which is the threshold of qualification for Free School Meals).

Band 2 = Annual household income between £16,191 – £26,000.

Band 3 = Aannual household income which is marginally above £26,000 who would like to be able to receive some financial assistance if possible (special consideration).

Can it be withdrawn?

Yes, if you are not meeting the Student Responsibilities on the Post 16 Learning Contract.

If my financial circumstances change?

Please inform the college immediately to enable us to adjust our information accordingly.

How do I make claims once I know I am eligible?

Students bring receipts to Mr Lloyd, she will authorise them and then Finance will BACS pay the amount into the student’s account (approx. a week to process). Alternative options can be discussed – e-mail to discuss.